Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Gardening for kids!

I recently picked up this great book at the library. I LOVE it, and best of all, it's the only book Ethan wants to read right now!


I've been wracking my brain over the past couple years, trying to figure out ways to include my children in gardening, so that they grow up to love it too. I want them to think back to their childhood and have fond memories of putting in seeds, eating fresh carrots, and picking apples off the tree. They already enjoyed a bit of that last year, as Oliver basically decimated my cherry tomato plants and Ethan snatched every semi-ripe strawberry he could find. But this book has even more ideas, and best of all, it's gotten Ethan thinking about planting his own garden.


I think what really drew me to this book is the size of the yard in the illustrations. This is not some giant farm garden. This is story about a mom who digs up her itty-pitty urban lawn to help her kids experience the joy of growing their own food. And along the way they eat some worms, learn about beneficial insects, and even grow a bean cave! I'm totally growing a bean cave this year, although I am technically running out of space. Maybe I'll put it in the middle of the back lawn. Who needs lawn anyway?

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

We had a bean pole teepee once. It was great - kids played in it and didn't mind picking beans from the inside!