Monday, July 29, 2013

More zucchini!

I found a zucchini recipe that the kids like! Can I say that again? I found a zucchini recipe the kids like! We call it "green soup" and the boys couldn't get enough of it, plus the oldest has been asking for all week. Whoa. 

So here's the recipe in case you want to try it out on your kids. Unfortunately I have no idea where the recipe comes from - I copied it from my mother-in-law several years ago, and I don't know where she got it from. So to whoever invented this goodness, THANK YOU!

ZUCCHINI SOUP:

2 lbs sliced zucchini
1 medium sliced onion
1 minced garlic clove
1 tbsp butter

Combine in a frying pan, steam-frying slowly while covered, until soft, about 10 minutes. 

Add either 2 cups hot water plus 2 tbsp chicken/vegetable stock powder or 2 cups real chicken stock, plus 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1 tsp salt. 

Run through a blender. Return to saucepan and heat. We like to add some crumbled bacon, or you could be fancy and add chives or other herbs. 

This soup can also be canned in a pressure canner if you'd like to store it. The stuff we ate the other night was canned 3 years ago and still tasted good. I guess we should probably should finish that stuff off - it's probably overstayed its welcome on the shelf. But now that we know the boys go gaa-gaa for green soup, that shouldn't be difficult!

On another note, I also found this zucchini recipe that I'm pretty confident my boys will eat. Going to try it tonight along with chicken soup from the first of my in-laws' chickens and homemade noodles! Feeling pretty domestic right about now.

No comments: