Sunday, June 30, 2013

How to get your kids to eat broccoli. Seriously.


1. Grow your own broccoli. I kid you not, it's like a different food group altogether. My kids scarf this stuff down, including much of the stem, which is juicy and sweet, unlike the chunks of bark you get attached to the broccoli you buy at the grocery store.

2. Need I say it? Dip! I was incredibly surprised to watch my children chow down on slices of raw zucchini with dip yesterday. Wow. Dip is one powerful tool. Use wisely.

3. Chop up really small and add a judicious amount of sesame-ginger dressing. I watched my kids literally FIGHT over a bowl of broccoli I prepared this way a couple weeks ago. 

4. Chop up really small and put into quesadillas with a bit of mozzarella cheese. Drooling now...and it's a great way to use up some of that dense grocery-store broccoli you accidentally bought before your good stuff gets big enough.

That's about it. My kids generally refuse to eat any sort of cooked veggie, so for right now in our house, delicious broccoli-cheddar soups and even steamed broccoli with cheese sauce is all in the "yuck" category. But really, when you have broccoli fresh out of the garden, who wants to cook it! 

No comments: