Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Busy, busy, terribly busy...

It's been a busy couple of weeks! If I'm not transplanting seedlings, I'm perusing perennials at greenhouses. If I'm not doing that, I'm watering (since, after a winter of insane snow, we have had NO rain this spring). If I'm not doing that, I'm putting in seeds, or edging the front garden, or cleaning up straw from the neighbour's yard, or de-thatching the lawn...let's just say that I completely forgot about the course I was working on. Literally. Remembered today that I'm enrolled. Probably should get back to that before my time runs out!

But the garden is way more fun. This evening I put in a few perennials I picked up from Wal-mart. Yeah, I know, Wal-mart is not my favourite place. And, note to anyone buying perennials at Wal-mart or Costco, not all their plants that have a "perennial" tag are Zone 3. I found a couple listed as Zone 4 or 5 (and one at Costco that, when I looked it up, is Zone 8!), which are almost guaranteed to die over the winter. 



Here's my little shade corner.

A couple big hostas, a bunch of baby hostas, and some shade-loving flowering perennials (aquilegia, toad lily, and some sort of bluebells) that are just poking their heads up out of the ground. And see where that log is in the lower picture? My father-in-law is making us a willow bench to put just in front of it, so it will be close to the apple tree. The area marked off by logs in the upper picture will be pathway eventually. Hopefully the ground cover I put in will start growing soon so I don't have just weeds there. If not, guess I'll just need to do some bark mulching!







And two more fun things are happening - I have a grand total of 4 asparagus spears coming up, and my cherry bush is blooming! I LOVE SPRING.

No comments: